Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Traditions

Since I have been with my husband, Uncle Ed, (Pammie's brother), every Christmas has had the highlight of a visit with Aunt Meg. First Aunt Meg alone, then Aunt Meg and Uncle Mike, then Aunt Meg, Uncle Mike and Emma and now Aunt Meg, Uncle Mike and Emma and baby Michael. This year will be the first year in 17 years that we will not be together. While I totally understand why it is not happening, it still feels like a tradition is changing. Many people have told me that when there is a loss in a family, things change and new traditions are started. I hope to make personally sure that we do start some new traditions.
I guess the first holidays will be the hardest. I remember last year Pammie and I and Big Grandma and Eddie were planning our day after Christmas trip to Michigan and we were very excited about it. Believe it or not, with Pammie in the car I looked forward to the trip. There were good snacks, good conversation and music to sing out loud to ( the Sound of Music soundtrack was a favorite). Who would think I would miss a 12 hour car ride? This year I even got a new car with a great GPS system, so I wouldn't have to stress Pammie about following the directions from our map quest sheet. That was the one thing Pammie needed a little help with. I remember once, we were near Cleveland and I knew an exit or turn was coming up and I said to Pammie, "What do I do?" She proceeded to start at Step 1 of the directions and told me to make a left turn at the end of my street! I said (very excitedly) "Pam, we are in Ohio! Skip to the middle of the Page!" From then on, Pammie would hold a marker (for the full 12 hours) and cross out the turns we made, so we would always be up to date in the directions. The first time we drove out there, Nick and Eddie were with us and I remember deputizing Nick to be the co-captain of the trip and he took over the reading of the directions. I hope Pammie wasn't too upset about that. I think she understood my anal and controling tendencies.

Anyway, so we are going to Michigan in January instead of December. I am just happy we are going. Maybe a new tradition has begun.

Love,
Aunt Eileen

2 comments:

Snuffin Muffin said...

I laughed to the point of tears on this one. I had to read it to my office mate cause I couldn't stop laughing.

So Smrt said...

I can TOTALLY see that happening...oh, Pammie.