Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Happy Place

On Christmas Eve, my brother got word that his offer on a Maine vacation property was accepted. And this is no ordinary property. It's a cabin on Beech Hill Pond, built by my Uncle Ed many years ago. Our family spent quite a bit of time there in the 1970s, swimming, fishing, blueberry picking, and sleeping in the bunk house.

In 1998, I took a trip back there with "The D'An Clan", and one of their dogs, Atlas. The place hadn't changed much, but it did have a TV and a ceiling on the bathroom! I slept with the kids up in the loft, and Pam and Julien slept in the master bedroom. We had a fantastic week...an early morning kayak ride with Steve, Steph, and Lily was one of the high points for me. The photo below, I think, shows one of the high points for Pam. She was never one to kick a dog off the bed, and Atlas sure knew that she was a sucker for a furry face. I never knew my sister to just laze around in the morning...she usually started vacuuming or doing laundry before the sun came up. But here is a moment of pure bliss...
I hope we can achieve some of that level of happiness when we visit the place in a few weeks. It will be hard without Pammie, but we'll try.

2 comments:

Snuffin Muffin said...

I dont think I realized this picture was even in Maine. Typically mommy. Atlas would love to come this year, as would Brie, but i fear the repairs would be more than anyone could afford should Brie come.

egc said...

Thanks for the picture! The bed is the same and those sheets are actually on the bed right now and I have been sleeping on them! Maggie set the beds up for us. I love the history on this place! When I lay down to sleep tonight, I will smile and think of Pammie and Atlas.
Love, Auntie Eileen