Thursday, March 19, 2009

51 Things On Your 51st.

In celebration of mommy’s 51st birthday, I decided to compile a list of reasons I miss her. For those who were there for the funeral, you will recognize the method from my eulogy. This is a practice I started when mommy first became sick, as I never had a difficult time telling her I loved her, but could never seem to muster up the strength to tell her that I’d miss her. Here’s to you mommy. 51 reasons I miss you. One for each year of your life, and an extra for the year that you should still be here.


1. How you would beg, literally beg, to do my ironing.
2. Seeing what kind of groceries you’d bought for me to eat, each time I came home to visit.
3. The dressing room at Kohls. I’d never model the ugly stuff, but more often than not, I bought what you thought made me look “pretty.”
4. How you’d push me out of the way if you saw me doing my own ironing.
5. How you’d let me borrow anything of yours, even if you hadn’t worn it yet.
6. The way you would redecorate my night stand each time I came home.
7. How you’d let me pick which Yankee candle to light in the kitchen.
8. Watching you grill just about everything in the rain.
9. How you used to stop and get me French Onion soup at the luncheonette down the road.
10. When you hem my pants.
11. How you faced every situation with a smile.
12. How you’d screech to a stop at yellow lights.
13. How you would make me macaroni and tuna fish salad whenever I needed cheering up.
14. How I’d resist almost every book recommendation you ever gave me, and ended up loving each one.
15. Going to Panera for soup and salad after shopping.
16. How you’d lend me your new books before you even read them.
17. Stopping for buttered rolls on the way to a big shopping trip.
18. Christmas shopping at Woodbury Commons.
19. How you’d get excited whenever you knew the answer to one of my crosswords.
20. Napping to the Food Network together.
21. Planning our trips to visit all the places we’d seen on Diners, Drive ins, and Dives.
22. Hearing you sing “No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed” to Carol.
23. Mikey Mouse pancakes.
24. How we barely ever went more than 3 or 4 days without talking.
25. How we could be at the world’s greatest restaurant, and you’d still fill up on a baked potato.
26. Listening to the Hanson Christmas CD on our first shopping trip of the winter.
27. How you folded my tshirts so perfectly, that I was able to fit all of them in my drawer.
28. How you used to call me your “Sex & the City” girl.
29. How I used to remind you, that if you’d actually seen the show, you would not like it if I was actually a “Sex and the City” girl.
30. How you’d call me to remind me to bring all my laundry home.
31. Buying you things just because.
32. How I used to slap you on the butt!
33. Waking up to the vacuum cleaner, even if it was insanely early in the morning.
34. How you’d boil pasta for me so it was ready when I got home.
35. I love you notes in the mail.
36. How much you loved Michael Buble.
37. Making you tea.
38. How you would call me just to say you loved me.
39. How you’d always let me have the first sit of your Suisse-Mocha.
40. How you’d have Parmesan personally grated for me at the store.
41. How you’d still send me George Clooney articles in the mail.
42. How you were the only person I ever enjoyed shopping with.
43. When you’d sing on my voicemail.
44. How much you loved Stoffer's Macaroni & Cheese.
45. How you’d put chocolate chips on top of your brownies.
46. How you’d print me out recipes after you’d seem them on the Food Network.
47. Your handwriting.
48. How you’d send me $10 in a card “For ice cream.”
49. How you eventually started sending me $10 in a card “For Beer.”
50. Putting flowers by your bedside while you were sleeping.
51. Because I just miss you.



2 comments:

So Smrt said...

When Pammie talked to me about your life in the city, she would refer to "Sex in the City" too. I knew she never watched it, she would be shocked...I'm sure she was just thinking of Sarah Jessica Parker walking down the sidewalk with a shopping bag!

Thanks for posting this...

egc said...

Loved this post,even though it made me sad. It was a wonderful tribute to your mom and how much you loved her and clearly how much she loved you.
Aunt Eileen