Sunday, January 4, 2009

Unconditional Love

When I say my sister lived a generous life, that is an understatement. Pammie really knew the art of unconditional love. She NEVER fought with me. Even though I can remember being angry at her, she never had a bad word to say to me or about me. I think I once heard her refer to some unknown person as a "real jerk," and I'm sure they deserved it. But that's the strongest negative thing I ever heard her say about anybody.

She took a calligraphy class when I was pretty young...I remember her having pens and ink that I was not allowed to touch. I don't know whether it was for practice or for a project, but she wrote me a poem with frilly swirls and flowers around the edges, and it hung in my room for years.

Sisters are silly,
Sarcastic and sweet,
Some are to thin,
Or too fat, or too neat.
Others are sassy,
Or think they're divine,
But the best sis of all
Is the one that is mine.

I did not memorize the words on purpose, it's just that I kept it on my mirror, and looked at it every day. I'm glad I know it now, because that piece of paper is somewhere in a box in the basement, and I doubt I'll come across it anytime soon. In all of my life, I never for one moment doubted her love for me. I hope I can do the same for the people I love.

1 comment:

egc said...

Pammie always had a wonderful outlook on life. She was always seeing the upside of any situation. I hope I can remember to be more like that.
Aunt Eileen